About Beefsteak and Burgundy
Members of Beefsteak and Burgundy have enjoyed friendships and appreciated good food and wine since the inception of Beefsteak and Burgundy nearly 60 years ago.
This section provides an overview of The Club, known as the Foundation Club, our history, objectives and a record of the founders, known as the First Eight, and Past Presidents of The Club.
Also included is the list of Branch Clubs in Australia and overseas to assist those members who may be travelling.
The Club, also known as The Foundation Club, was established in 1954 as the first Beefsteak and Burgundy Club.
As detailed in the History Page, this has led to the formation of Branch Clubs within Australia and overseas.
The Club has continued to be responsible for the administration and expansion of Beefsteak and Burgundy. This includes:
- upholding of the Constitution of the Beefsteak and Burgundy Club Incorporated
- liaising with Branch Clubs through the General Secretary and our web site
- approving the petitions for the Charter of new Branch Clubs
- ensuring appropriate Public Liability insurance is in place for Branch Clubs within Australia
- producing and distribution the annual Handbook to assist members in visiting other clubs
- the management of the affiliation fees
- the sourcing and distribution of regalia to Branch Clubs
- the approval and recognition of Life Membership as proposed by Branch Clubs
- consideration and awarding the holding of Conventions to Branch Clubs through the bidding process
- consultation with Branch Clubs at the Business Session at Conventions
Members of The Club also enjoy themselves socially, like other Branch Club members, through monthly dinners and other activities of The Clubs social arm, the Adelaide Club.
The objectives of Beefsteak and Burgundy Inc, listed in detail in the Constitution, can be summarised as follows
- To provide information, education and enjoyment of fine wine and food in the pleasant company of fellow members.
- To achieve the above by arranging lunches and dinners, visits to wineries, wine-tasting functions, inviting wine makers and other experts in their field to address members, seeking new members and encouraging the formation of new clubs in Australia and overseas.